Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wednesday Afternoon on the Farm

Were you ever intrigued by what it is like on a farm? Were you ever tempted by the wild, natural farming life style? If you were somebody like me, the answer would be "Yes! Many times!" I have always dreamed about living a rural life, especially after reading the Swiss novel "Heidi" at the age of 10. I was fascinated by the idea of sleeping on a hay stack, waking up to a mug of fresh goat's milk, and staying up chatting under a million stars in the sky. Today, my dream came true. Well, sort of. I finally got to work on a (not certified but better than) organic farm, for about three hours in the afternoon. 


After the recent discovery of the CitySeed Farmer's Market in Wooster Square, I followed up with the local farm on campus for volunteer opportunities. Luckily, today is their first day open to the public for a farm work day! The farm is located on top of the Science Hill, and I had to hike up there because I missed the first bus and the second one would be a 27-minute-wait...It was 93 degrees out, and by the time I arrived at the gate, I was already breathless.

Seeing the lovely tomatoes was definitely an energy boost!


It turned out that I was the first and volunteer today, and I was able to work with two interns on the farm. Our task of the day was to transplant a whole bed of lettuce, consisting of butter crunch, and red/green oak leaves.


We marked a little grid first.


I took over shortly after the demonstration -- it was not as tough as I thought. Then at each intersection, we dug a hole and bury the lettuce cube.


Repeat our hard work, and a couple hours later, we had this.


It was great fun! My fingernails got all dirty and I was sweating like crazy. My phone/camera also got covered by dirt. Yet the sense of accomplishment would make you forget about all the rest. In a month, we shall be able to harvest some tasty leafy greens!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have sort of realized the dream from ten years old? That's amazing!. Hope you can taste some of it in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the red/green oak leaves look just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of growing our own veges in Donghai!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin