Saturday, September 7, 2013

A New Discovery -- CitySeed Farmer's Market in Wooster Square

If you are a pizza fan, you'd probably heard of the little Italy in New Haven -- rumor has it that pizza originated from here. However, unless you are in tune with natural/local/healthy living, you probably is not aware that it also hosts one of the best farmer's market in town. As a new comer to the scene, I was disappointed that last week was the end of the seasonal Uncommon Farmer's Market at Yale, so I did a little research online, and stumbled upon this awesome weekly event.

I was able to find about a dozen reviews, but nothing very recent. Overall, it seems high end, good quality and a little bit on the expensive side. Well, I was very intrigued. It is less than a 20-minute-walk away, and the weather has been gorgeous  -- really, there is no reason NOT to check it out.

And I am glad I did.


Tons of fresh seasonal produce, organic dairy product, artisan bread, high quality meat and seafood, and even some food trucks and soup stands. I am usually a picky eater and a bit shy on tryinge new food -- if I am not confident about the ingredients. But here, I couldn't not resist the temptation of all kinds of yummy treats. Starting with a roasted beet soup (surprisingly delicious!!!), and a coconut vegetable soup (vegan), my pallet was awakened. Along the way, I tried 5 or 6 kinds of cheese, one that left a big impression was a Wasabi goat cheese served on a slice of apple. It took me a while to figure out what the spiciness came from. Another interesting offering was the goat yogurt-- very smooth and creamy, with subtle sweetness. I also realized that instead of the traditional cracker/bread/apple & cheese, cucumber could be a very good combination to spread creamy cheese on, especially in the summer -- what an enjoyment to have a tasty juicy bite. I just wish that I brought more cash!

It turns out that this farmer's market is a bit more expensive than the one I am used to. Most of the things are 50% more expensive. Yet if you choose carefully, there are still some good deals to be found.

After careful (but not too careful) comparison, here is what I brought home. $3 worth of fruits (apples at $1.5/lb, various variety; plums $2/lb), rainbow chard and kale both at $1.5/bundle (and each a bit over half pound in weight), I spent $1 each on the eggplant, the jalapeno peppers ($3/lb) and mixed salad green ($5/ half pound). Last but not the least, though D has started to think that I'm beet-crazy, how could I resist the bundle of golden&red beets at 3 bucks!

So, total count, $12 dollars, not a bad way to start our week off :) Did I mention that I also ran into an old friend working there? She was busying selling yummy baked goods so I only got the chance to say hi and gave a hug, but it was nice to reconnect.

One more thing that's worth mentioning: there is a recent campaign to buy at least 10% of your grocery from local CT providers. You should totally sign up if you can!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good place to go. I wish I could go with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And love the way you lay your veges out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a high-end farm market but you really made very wise choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried some apples and plums yesterday. They are extremely sweet and juicy!

      Delete
  4. ya, the apples are in season now, but it's hard to find natural ones here!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin