Saturday, September 27, 2014

Roast Chicken for ONE -- after a hard breakup

I cried. Hard. For a while. After a 4.5-year-relationship has finally come to an end.

It felt like a whirlwind of emotions, intense and overwhelming. And my nose started bleeding, even more violently than my heart.

Consolation from friends and family has helped me to stand on my feet again. It is becoming clear that taking care of myself is the first priority right now, starting with -- nourishment.


Roast chicken has become such a staple and comfort food for me, that I really craved for it, on a bad day. The problem is, you can use the leftovers however you want, a big bird is just too much for one person. Here is what I did, just for myself.


Chop off the limbs from your whole chicken, and save the wings, thighs, drumsticks in the freezer for later use. 

Stuff and season the chicken "core" as you would with a whole chicken.  Lay it in a baking dish on top of a bed of vegetables. 

After 30 minutes in the preheated oven, you will end up with a pretty tasty dinner, and lunch for later. 



Roast Chicken for ONE
serves 2
  • 1 4-lb chicken (with limbs removed)
  • 1 small carrot
  • 1/4 stalk celery
  • 1/4 medium onion
  • 1/8 slice of lemon
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup brussel sprouts, broccoli florets, eggplant or cubed potatoes (or other veggies to roast)
  • salt & pepper
  • cajun seasoning and/or italian seasoning
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, both inside the cavity and out. Sprinkle cajun and/or italian seasoning on top.
  3. Stuff the carrot, celery, onion, garlic gloves and lemon wedge in the cavity.
  4. In a baking dish, lay down the vegetables you'd like to roast.
  5. Lay the stuffed chicken core on top and roast in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
Nutrition:
Each serving provides 334 calories, with 37 grams of protein and low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin B6 and Selenium, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin A (88% of DVA) and Niacin. (More detailed analysis can be found here.)

Cost:
The whole chicken cost about $7 bucks, and with wings & legs removed, the whole meal cost about $3/serving! 

More importantly, this dish restored me, both figuratively and literally. And to my lovely dear friends, thank you again for all your support. I feel extremely luck to have you during this time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin