Saturday, September 14, 2013

Grocery Roundup -- Week 3, last week before a vacation abroad

I am going away for a month, starting next Wednesday. I am somewhat excited to visit China for a month, imagine the adventure in food! Anyway, the past week has been full of nutritious and organic local food. Including two farmer's market trips. The first trip was already described in details before, bring our starting grocery expenditure to a frugal $12.

The second trip happened today with my friend Sarah. As usual, we sampled some delicious cheese and soup, and finally found the Yale Farm stand that I worked for! There, I bought the most amazing bulb of fennel for a mere $2. (Their salad mix was also a great bargain but I had already bought some at the 2nd stand I saw! Patience, patience...)


The salad mix was mixed by ME. The stand was certified organic, and had separate boxes for arugula, spinach, been sprout greens, mixed lettuce, etc, all for $1/oz. The lemon basil was also from the same stand, the whole bundle of basil was only $1! The apple stand was also great. The owner remembered me from last week and told me regretfully that I had just missed their plums for the year! Oh no! I was addicted to their plums since last time! So juicy and sweet. The six small apples (mixed variety) cost $1.95. The bundle of Kale was $1.5, and the leek from the same stand was $1 ($4/lb). So the recent trip ended up a bit cheaper than last time ($9.45), but since we went late, a lot of stuff were sold out by the time we got there. Gotta be an earlier bird! The sheep cheese I tried today was soooooooo good that I was determined to buy a small piece regardless, but the owner told me that all they had left was a whole wheel! Oh boy, again I was punished by being a lazy bone on a Saturday morning. Sigh.

We took one trip to the Asian market this week, where we replenished ourselves we Tofu, scallions, cilantro, Enoki mushrooms, Kai-lan, a Daikon radish and a sweet potato. 


We also picked up some new things to try, including some yam noodles with seaweed (yeah, seaweed, $2.5), some yam noodles with spinach ($2.99), and some frozen sardines (with heads and guts, $5.99)! Asian market cost $20.03, bringing our total to $41.48.

We took several quick trips to Stop & Shop for basic stuff, costing us $48.41 ($18 + $22.86 + $7.55). On the second trip for which I was responsible, we got organic spring salad green mix, organic non-fat Greek yogurt, a dozen of all natural eggs, two grapefruits, 5 apples, a peach, a cantaloupe, a head of broccoli, a pound of fresh farm raised salmon, and a roll of Saran wrap. 

Not included in the picture were three gallons of milk (yay for making delicious fresh cheese at home ), two bags of flour, a box of cocoa powder, a bottle of orange juice to make mimosa with, and some turkey bacon for brunch when D's mom came over for another Game of Thrones marathon. 

Overall spending for the past week (and a couple days more) was $ 96.82. Still pretty good for two people trying to living green. 

2 comments:

  1. I really love "the most amazing bulb of fennel"!And all the stuff you bought from that farmers market!
    It seems that living green is not that expensive if you put some thought on it, you make me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really envy you for the farmers' market! Love all the green leaves!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin