Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Carrot Salad for Our Labor Day Cookout

Our labor day was over shadowed by a POTENTIAL thunderstorm in the late afternoon, which complete threw us off our track for a BBQ outside...In hope that the weather would hold up, I made some carrot raisin salad, potato salad and veggie burgers. 


My college cafe got me hooked on their carrot raisin salad, besides delicious zucchini bread and smoked salmon crepes. After graduation, on those melancholy days, I would spend "tremendous" effort and spend a whole 10 minutes to make this salad. I know, I know, it is super easy to make. (and cheap too!)

Yesterday, I started with five peeled carrots.


Shredding them was probably the most labor intensive part. But if you have some awesome gadget, you wouldn't need to spend much time at all. I was listening to the Radio Lab during shredding, so no time wasted :) I ended up with about 2 cups of shredded carrots.


Add some raisins. About half a cup. 


Made the dressing separately, which consists of 6 tablespoons of mayonnaise, one tablespoon of milk, and one tablespoon of sugar. And mix everything, including a group of very happy people!


A quarter of the whole thing is about 110 calories. The total cost came to about $1.5 even with organic ingredients, and it made all of us very happy! 


 

2 comments:

  1. Love the color of your shredded carrots with raisins!And the smiles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And mix everything, including a group of very happy people!" Hahahahaha, love that!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin