Thursday, October 2, 2014

Avocado Muffins -- only for my best friends

I am blessed with the best friends one can ask for -- fun, smart, and most importantly: they will be there for you at times of need. This is no Oscar or Nobel, but I just want to jog down that C,  D, G, M, N, P, S, S etc really got me through the toughest times ( I hope the toughest is over). Especially M & S, who took me out for an all time favorite: oysters (!) + bubbly sangria @ pacifico last night.

I don't think I can ever thank them enough for being good companions, and treating me to the best in town on top of that. Pardon me for not disclosing everything here, but just trust me that they are awesome.

The only way to thank them ( that I could think of) was to make these: avocado muffins. I started wanting make a brownie, and changed my mind half way through, and the resulted recipe was inspired by M&S's favorite food. Here's the whole spiel.


Avocado Muffins
serves 12
  • 6 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup yogurt
  • 1 ripe avocado, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla or coconut extract
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp cornmeal
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • dash of cinnamon powder
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 cup walnut (or almond) pieces


  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugars, egg, yogurt, mashed avocado, and vanilla or coconut extract.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the dry ingredients except for the walnuts. 
  4. Dig a well in the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients in the well to combine. Fold in the nut pieces. 
  5. Divide the dough between 12 muffin cups. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. 
It was so moist and delicious. The avocado was barely distinguishable, but it added an whole dimension of richness. 



Cost:
Budget $1-2 bucks/avocado, this recipe can run you between $0.5 and $0.6 per muffin. Personally, I think the most costly ingredient is labor and time. But I had so much fun making it, that the contribution of labor/time is negative for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin