Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pig Roast with Old Friends!

Some friendships are meant to last -- you don't necessarily have to talk every day, but in the bottom of your hear, you know the bond is and always will be there. Last weekend we drove down to Dobbs Ferry, NY to visit a friend that we hadn't seen for 3 years, over an awesome pig roast!

It took us a while to get there (Friday traffic is always the worst), plus it took a long time for us to find a parking spot. We kept circulating a block down from the eatery, and the smell just made us salivating.

It was so nice to see L, J and their lovely lovely boy N. N is the first baby that D and I have ever held. I still remember how nervous we were since last time we saw him, he was still a tiny baby with a wobbly head -- we were so afraid of breaking him that we held our breath having him in our arms. I couldn't believe that he was a real boy, talking and singing and all that!

I ordered the swine and wine dinner, which includes a three-course dinner with a wine pairing for each. D opted for the hogs and hops (beer pairing) instead, and we were able to have the "full" experience both.


First course was a refreshing salad of pea shoots, apple and some fancy cheese with pepper corn (I was too absorbed in the conversation with our old friends to remember the name...) Perfectly dressed. A side note about appetizer: L's salad didn't come for 10 minutes, and it turned out that our wait staff simply overlooked him. Apologetically, they gave our table two plates of bread and fresh (half melted) mozzarella which was heavenly!

We could hardly wait for our main dish. There was clapping and cheering while the pig was brought up to the table. Such festivity!
It was so big -- a whole 30 pounds! It smelt wonderful. The skin was perfectly caramelized and ah, I could hardly wait. The chef came to our table and did the carving to our request. I asked for a piece with bones ( I always find meat attached to bones more succulent), and got my ribs. D asked for meat and got a big piece from the thigh. Our company asked for cheeks and all kinds of weird cuts and was immediately satisfied. The side dishes include a roasted potato, a roasted root vegetable (which I found a bit too salty), and a sautéed kale. But really, who cares about the side with a whole pig in front?!
Steamy hot, juicy and with a nice crunch from the crackling. I wish my stomach was twice as large!

After that we were so busy eating that nobody remembered to take more pictures. Now I totally regret as I could not even recall what wine I had! But at least I can tell you a bit about the dessert, a dedecant cheese cake, with a hint of citrus that balanced off the grease and heaviness just right.

Ah, what a night!

A short visit to L and J's apartment over some awesome tea (L grew up in Britain) and more catching up was invaluable. I look forward to another reunion soon very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin