Friday, May 9, 2014

One-step Cocoa Frosting for a Chocolate Birthday Cake -- birthday recommended but not mandatory

We've been having too much fun since last Friday -- so much that I have not yet got a chance to update about our beer hopping and a joint birthday party.

I arrived at the beer hopping late, thanks to a hectic clean room schedule. Nonetheless, I had LOTS of fun, discovery local businesses and such. The most impressive pit stop would have to be our local brew shop luck &levity without a doubt. The six home brewers there brought over a dozen tasty beer, from bitter stout to sweet rhubarb to Belgian wheat. What a great treat!

(I found this picture of us chilling from the brew shop website.)


And it happened to be J and C's birthday. We love J so much that we'll HAVE to make a scrumptious double layer cake full of home-made frosting for him, and his friends (including us)!


We had green curry chicken thigh and drumstick with Israeli couscous for dinner, and layers of cake/frosting/cake/frosting/coconut combo for dessert!

The cake itself was good, but I was rather more impressed by the frosting. I usually shy away from frostings, especially the kind that usually tops off a cup cake. They are so sweet and sometimes there is a layer of crust on top that just throws me off for no good reason. I debated for a long time on whether to frost this birthday cake. The final push for me was -- even if it's not good, you can always take off the frosting and eat the cake alone! I was very happy with the way it turned out. The frosting was super easy to make, yet it tasted so rich and smooth, that I could eat it just by itself. The recipe was enough to frost two double-layer cakes.

One-step Cocoa Frosting
serves 24 (adapted from Hershey's chocolate frosting recipe)
  • 1 stick butter (1/4 lb), melted
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (I like it VERY chocolaty)
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk, but any will do)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  1. Stir everything together. Mix well.
Nutrition 
You probably don't want to know this, but let's face it: frostings are not health-food. Each serving (about 1 oz) will load you up with about 100 calories (109 to be exact), with 15 grams of sugar.  Whoo -- sugar high! More details can be found here.
Cost
Rough estimate, between $2-3 for the whole recipe. This perhaps costs more than the store-bought frostings in a can/jar, but totally worth the time and money as it just tastes so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin