Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chocolate Covered Matzo with Coconut Flakes, Dried Fruits and Seeds -- we are so ready for the passover party

We have awesome friends, J being one of them. Not only is he a master griller, a talented brewer, but also a great Jewfest thrower. (Yeah, also a big fan of making up funny words that conveys the meaning so well that I think some of those should be added into the dictionary.) For the Jewfest tomorrow, he let me help with the dessert. The instruction I received was "The dish I've generally made in the past is just taking maztah and covering it in melted chocolate then dried fruit or whatever else, etc...or if you have something else in mind I'm sure that's cool too." This is total trust I'm talking about, man. I'm was so excited to see the great opportunity to take a run with it.

I started with four sheets of Matzo, as an experiment. D had half of a sheet for dessert tonight, and thought it was pretty good. So happy it worked out. So I made more, but ran into a very practical problem quickly -- we were out of surface area! 

No problem, I've always been good at this game:
Viola, problem solved. I was so into making desserts for passover that I decided to make some coconut macaroons while the chocolate sets on the matzo. 

Soon enough, between the two desserts, we ran out of countertop space again! This was ten minutes before I finally pulled the trigger and decided to call it a day. 


So excited for tomorrow~

Chocolate Covered Matzo with Coconut Flakes, Dried Fruits and Seeds
serves 18
  • 18 sheets matzo
  • 12 oz  semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 18 large dried apricots, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup sunflower (or other) seeds
  • 1/2 unsweeted coconut flakes
  • dash of salt (optional)
  1. Melt chocolate chips in a bowl, over boiling water.
  2. Use a spatula to spread melted chocolate on matzo sheets. 
  3. Sprinkle 1 chopped apricots, 1/2 Tbsp of dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and coconut flakes on each chocolate covered matzo. Top with a dash of salt if you want.
  4. Let the chocolate cool and set. You can use the fridge to speed it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin