Monday, July 21, 2014

Open Face Chicken Naanwich -- leftovers are wonderful for lunch

I love dining out in summer time -- sitting out on a patio with a glass of white sangria or margarita. I also love the numerous barbecue parties -- blue cheese burgers, grilled steaks, corn on the cob, and of course, lots of beer. My point is, with the increasing dining options, I tend to cook formal meals less frequently in summer. Heating up the stove twice a day is just not that appealing somehow.

So when I do cook, I make more than enough for a meal, and rely on the leftovers for a while. Trust me, leftovers can be very tasty! Here is a lunch we have been having for lunch ever since I discovered the fun of making naan at home.


Open Face Chicken Naanwich 
serves 1


  • 1 roasted/rotisserie/grilled chicken breast, chopped or torn into pieces (I used leftover roasted chicken)
  • 2 Tbsp kernel of corns
  • 2 Tbsp chopped carrots
  • 2 Tbsp peas 
  • 2 Tbsp bean sprouts
  • 1 lettuce leaf
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • dash of paprika
  • dash of garlic granulate
  • dash of ground cumin
  • 1 piece of naan bread
  • grated parmesan (optional)
  1. Heat up a non-stick skillet over medium heat. toss together the chicken, corns, carrots, peas and bean sprouts. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and garlic granulate. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
  2. Warm up the naan bread in the microwave for about 30 seconds. 
  3. Lay down the lettuce on top of the naan. Top it off with the chicken vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with some grated parmesan if you'd like.
Nutrition
Each sandwich provides about 350 calories, providing 66% of your daily need of vitamin A, 19% vitamin C and 19% iron. (More details can be found here.)

Cost
This is probably among the cheapest lunch options available, and it is easy to scale up. I mean what can beat leftovers? By the way, frozen vegetables work just fine. Even if you buy rotisserie chicken and use store-bought naan, the cost per serving would not exceed $2.50 -- less than half of what I'd spend at a lunch cart!



I have to say though my favorite thing about this lunch is the contrast of texture. The veggies still hold their crunch, the chicken remains tender and juicy, and the warmed naan has a chew to it. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin