Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Lemonade Chia Seed Muffins -- we all have lazy days

It's time for breakfast again, and I had NOTHING prepared. Digging through the fridge, I found nothing but eggs and milk, along with some cabbage and dried shrimp & squid (!) What can I do?!

Luckily, D has got some lemonade in stock, way way in the back. How lucky! With a pantry stocked with flour, baking powder and vanilla, I could totally pull it off -- or could I?


Having been making muffins on a regular basis (most notable muffin so far can be found here), I believe that I have unveiled the secret:  melted butter + sugar + eggs + special ingredient + flour + baking powder. Given that everything else was present, I had to pick lemonade as my secret flavor boosting ingredient! And, it worked surprisingly well!

Lemonade Chia Seed Muffins
serves 6
  • 4 Tbsp butter ~$0.5
  • 1/4 cup sugar ~$0.5
  • 1 1/2 cup flour ~$0.4
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder ~$0.27
  • 1/4 cup milk ~$0.16
  • 1 egg ~$0.3 (organic, cage free)
  • 1 Tbsp chia seeds ~$0.2 (organic)
  • 1/4 cup lemonade ~$0.4
  • 1/2 tsp salt $0.02
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract ~$0.2
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. In a bowl, melt the butter and sugar. Cream them together. Stir in an egg, chia seeds and the vanilla extract. Add in the milk and lemonade. Stir until the consistency is uniform (and liquid).
  3. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt while mixing. Mix until reaching a uniform consistency.
  4. Divide the batter between six oiled muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.
Nutrition
Each serving provides you with 223 calories, satisfying 16% of your calcium intake, and 9% of your iron intake and 6% of your vitamin A intake. A more detailed analysis can be found here.

Cost
At $0.88 per serving, it is really not bad for a hearty breakfast. Using non-organic ingredient and home-made lemonade will reduce the cost even more -- but I gave in to the convenience.


This batch of 6 lasted a total of two days. I suppose that says a LOT about the favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin